Search This Blog

Friday, March 17, 2006

2007 Recruit Martin Coleman OL Edison HS (Huntington Beach, CA)


Recruiting Profile from Student Sports on Martin Coleman

Will Coleman leave Los Angeles?
One of the top offensive line prospects in the West region next year will be Huntington Beach (Calif.) Edison's Martin Coleman. Coleman has huge upside because of his size and athleticism and when you consider he's only been playing the sport for one year, the lineman could have more long term potential than any offensive linemen in the region.
Coleman, 6-6, 285 pounds was part of one of the state's best tackle duos last season starting every game at right tackle while BYU signee Romney Fuga started at left tackle. Fuga earned all-state honors two years in a row but we actually like Coleman better as a college prospect because of his size and athleticism.

We saw Coleman in person twice last season and he's one of those players who immediately jumps out. For his size, he moves extremely well, finishes his blocks and has a nice mean streak to him. Coleman is very quick and has great feet.

"He's already a great pass blocker," Edison coach Dave White said. "He moved here from Tonga where he played Rugby and I really think that helped him a lot. He's new to football but the sky is the limit for him. He kept getting better and better last season and should be very good this year."

On the recruiting front, Coleman is hearing from a host of schools although he's still waiting for his first scholarship offer.

"I have letters from all the Pac 10 schools plus Nebraska, Colorado, Fresno State, Boston College, Virginia, Michigan, Michigan State, Colorado State, Nevada and San Diego State," Coleman said. "I'm still new to all this but I like USC and UCLA a lot, those are probably my top two right now. Nebraska, Miami and Colorado are other schools that I'm very interested in.

"Right now, I'm looking for a school where I'll get along well with the coaches and where the academics are strong. I'm working hard on my speed right now, every Sunday I do speed training and I'm also throwing the shot and discus in track. In the summer, I'm going to camp with USC and Notre Dame and I'm also planning to attend the Nike camp in Los Angeles."

No comments: