Search This Blog

Monday, July 03, 2006

David Angilau (Niwot HS, CO) Verbals to BYU

Niwot HS (CO) Defensive Lineman David Angilau has verballed to BYU.


Good Things Come in Bunches for BYU

By: Talo Steves
TBS Managing Editor
Date: Jun 5, 2006

After receiving a commitment from one of the top LDS quarterback prospects in the country yesterday, Coach Mendenhall received another verbal commitment today. This time they bolstered their defensive front with the top defensive player in the state of Colorado.

David Angilau is originally from the San Francisco Bay area, where, as a young man, he attended the same LDS congregation as BYU’s Manase and Matangi Tonga. Later, his family moved across the bay where current BYU recruit Fenuki Foketi (younger brother of BYU signee Moses Foketi) was in Angilau’s new congregation. The two also played football together at James Logan High School.

Angilau moved again, this time to Colorado where he just finished his junior year at Niwot High School where he had 65 tackles, 32 solo tackles, 15 Sacks and 25 Tackles for loss. With numbers like that it is no wonder that BYU extended a scholarship offer to the 6-foot-2, 255-pound defensive lineman.

“I committed to BYU,” said Angilau. “I committed to Bronco Mendenhall today. I think he’s a really good coach. He’s a nice guy and a really good person. I have Wyoming, CSU and CU recruiting me, but I’m excited to play for BYU. I’m really excited to represent my church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

Angilau’s road to BYU was laid with some tough Tongan love from his family. While at James Logan High School, Angilau got mixed up with the wrong crowd. The Angilau family moved their son away from the troubles of the Bay area to be under the guidance of his uncle Mitch Vuki, who lives in Colorado.

“I was over there in Cali playing in my freshman year and things started happening,” said Angilau. “I started getting into trouble and wasn’t making the grades to play football and all that stuff. My family moved me to my uncle’s house in Colorado, which kind of helped me out because I could focus more on what’s most important.”

With the important aspects of his life back in order, Angilau received a scholarship offer from BYU. Cougar coaches discovered Angilau when reviewing film of Fenuki Foketi.

“I’m excited to play for BYU and represent my family back home in California and in Colorado,” said Angilau. “I’m really excited and my family is excited and I’m excited to play for BYU and represent the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I want to go on my mission and I know BYU will let you go.”

Any given play on one of Angilau’s game films is highlight reel material. A dominating defensive lineman, it is no wonder that Colorado University along with Colorado State and Wyoming were recruiting Angilau heavily.

“I play D-end and D-tackle,” said Angilau. “I’m pretty quick and run a 4.8 forty. I haven’t run the shuttle, just the forty. I bench 335 and squat just 460. I clean 255 and have a 27 inch vertical.

“I was first team all-state, all-conference, all-region, all-area and was named Colorado’s Defensive Player of the Year,” Angilau said.

Angilau came to BYU’s junior day where he met another Tongan recruit. Angilau is still in Provo visiting with some relatives who are also BYU fans.

“I came for junior day and did all that stuff,” Angilau said. “I saw [Devin] Mahina there. and he’s big. He’s like 6-6 or something like that. Now I’m visiting my family over here. They’re excited I’ve committed to play for BYU.”


No comments: