Search This Blog

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Aztecs in the mix for versatile Savai'i Eselu

August 14, 2006

Eselu is one of the Aloha State's best for the Class of 2007.
"I will be all over the place," expressed the versatile 6-foot-4, 250-pounder. "And I just became our back up quarterback."

Eselu was an all-state defensive lineman in 2005 as a junior.

"Right now I have seven scholarship offers and only two of those schools want me as a defensive lineman," he explained. "The rest of them want me at tight end, where they can put me in the trenches and create a mismatch."

San Diego State, Colorado, UNLV, Utah and Arizona have all offered Eselu as a tight end. Oregon and BYU have offered him as a defensive lineman.

"My mom works for Hawaiian Airlines so I've already had a chance to take unofficial trips to Arizona and Stanford," he said. "Right now I really like Arizona. I just loved it. It reminds me of Hawaii. Coach Mike Tuiasosopo is really nice. Right now Arizona is where I'm leaning towards.

Colorado, San Diego State, Oregon and Utah round out his top five.

What does he like about the Aztecs? "San Diego State is a really good school and they are trying to build up their program," Eselu said. "The atmosphere in San Diego is also very similar to Hawaii."

Eselu is ranked by Rivals.com as the fourth best prospect from the Aloha State this recruiting cycle.

"The sky is the limit for Savai'i," Moanalua head coach A.K. Martinez previously told Rick Kimbrel of Rivals100.com. "He has a wingspan of 77-inches and he's still growing. He's a fantastic kid and the kind of young man that doesn't come along too often."

No comments: