Search This Blog

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Navy QB: Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada

Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada helped Navy defeat Stanford today 37-9 as a back up QB. Earlier this week the Honolulu Advertiser had a short write up on the Kapolei graduate.

Posted on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006

HOMEGROWN REPORT
Kaheaku-Enhada at helm of Navy victory

By Leila Wai
Advertiser Staff Writer

Navy quarterback Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada went from second string to scoring in Saturday's 21-20 win over Massachusetts.

Kaheaku-Enhada, a 2004 Kapolei graduate, entered the game in the second quarter and directed a touchdown drive, then scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 19-yard run in the third.

"It was interesting, a learning experience. Coach told me there was a good chance I would go in," Kaheaku-Enhada said. "But when he first called my number I really wasn't ready. He threw me in halfway through the second quarter, and that's kind of early. But once I got in and got a couple of snaps I was OK."

Senior Brian Hampton led a touchdown drive on Navy's first possession, but was yanked by head coach Paul Johnson — a former University of Hawai'i offensive coordinator — after an interception and two punts.

"I'm still the backup; we still have a lot of trust in our starter," Kaheaku-Enhada said. "He just had a bad week, and he'll bounce back."

Kaheaku-Enhada took over with 9 minutes remaining before halftime and drove Navy 80 yards on six rushing plays. Fullback Matt Hall scored on a 53-yard run to tie the score at 14.

On Navy's next possession, Kaheaku-Enhada's first pass of the season was caught by receiver Jason Tomlinson for a 21-yard gain to the UMass 27. The drive ended two plays later when Hall fumbled on a dive play.

Hampton opened the second half at quarterback, but Navy went three-and-out on its first possession. Kaheaku-Enhada then led five of Navy's final six possessions.

He scored on a 19-yard keeper up the middle to put Navy ahead 21-17 late in the third quarter.

"I came off the dive and hit the hole and I saw daylight, and I thought, 'Wow, I'm really going to score,' " he said. "Honestly, I couldn't tell you what I was thinking because it happened so fast. I was just thinking to get into the end zone and get some points on the board."

Kaheaku-Enhada completed 1 of 4 passes, and rushed 12 times for 41 yards and the touchdown. He fumbled three times and lost one.

"It was just poor execution on the entire offense, especially me. I was messing up on my reads and that led to my fumbles," he said.

Last season, Kaheaku-Enhada threw one pass (an incompletion against Stanford) and played mostly on special teams and as a backup receiver.

"Switching positions helped me in a lot of ways. It helped me see the field from different angles," Kaheaku-Enhada said. "I was able to see coverages that I never used to look at in high school. The game is so much different from high school. It helped me out a lot on seeing things develop."

No comments: