Search This Blog

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Roy Helu Jr (San Ramon Valley HS) Commits to Nebraska


The Nebraska Huskers will have a reasonable contingent of recruits coming in this weekend and some could be committing to them. The focus seems to be on those visitors, but the Huskers have surprised by getting a commitment from one that won't be in this weekend. It is an interesting development, but a pleasant development for the program
Helu will be a Husker.
"I committed yesterday morning," Roy Helu said, referring to his verbal commitment to Nebraska offensive line coach Dennis Wagner. "You know, my family and I prayed about it. Nebraska just kept coming to my mind. I kept thinking about Nebraska the whole time.

"(The Nebraska coaches) were excited about it. I spoke to all of the coaches. They were excited and my parents, also. I like all of the coaching staff and the pro-style offense."

One particular thing could have been the deciding factor and that was the treatment he and his prents received while at the University of Nebraska.

"I like the way we were treated on the trip," he said. "That is what my parents liked , too."

The 5-foot-11, 206-pound running back from San Ramon Valley High School in Danville, Calif. Made an official visit to Nebraska for their first game of the 2006 season. Being close to Cal-Berkeley he has seen their campus and coaches. Also, he made a trip to take in the atmosphere at Oregon, but Nebraska was in his heart.

Helu has had some nagging injuries so far this year, but he is about back to normal.

"We are doing good," he said. "We are undefeated so far. I have been banged up a little bit. I have some little tweaks. (Last Friday) was not my best performance."

Helu is a versatile athlete that could play other positions, but last year as a junior, he proved that he could perform at a high level at running back. He accumulated 1,526 yards and scored 19 touchdowns on 186 carries for an 8.2 yards per carry average. He must have good hands, as he averaged over 16 yards on 30 receptions. He added another four touchdowns.

He passed up scholarship offers from BYU, Oregon and California to pick Nebraska.

When asked if he was 100 percent sure on his decision, he said the following: "I'm 100 percent on my decision. No, that is it."

No comments: