Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Westlee Tonga to Utah

Westlee Tonga of Spring HS has verballed to Utah. He is the brother in law of Philadelphia Eagles Returnman Reno Mahe.

It's no secret that Utah has been trying to open a recruiting pipeline to Texas. This season is turning out to be a breakthrough in the Lone Star State, with four Texas players having already committed to the Utes. This weekend, the Utes picked up number five.

Tonga projects as a tight end in college.
Westlee Tonga, a 6-foot-4, 220-pound tight end from Spring, Texas, entered Salt Lake City this weekend to evaluate the University of Utah, and how he might fit into the program. He left with his college plans cemented in place. "[The visit] went good," he said. "I committed [to Utah] this weekend."

According to Tonga, there was a lot to like about the Utes. "I liked the coaching staff a lot," he explained. "Their program is going in the right direction. I just liked the overall feeling of the school as well."

Tonga is a versatile tight end who was also called on to fill in at offensive line during his high school career. However, he projects as a tight end at the Division I level. When asked how he'll mesh with Utah's offense, Tonga replied, "I think that I'll fit in well. They told me that they're in the process of incorporating more tight ends into their packages, and they've been recruiting some tight ends. I think it will be a good fit."

In the end, the decision to play for Utah was a no-brainer for Tonga. "It was in the back of my mind all along," he said. "I really like the school and the environment."

Tonga, who is a member of the LDS church, plans on serving a two-year mission for his church prior to enrolling at Utah. According to Tonga, he will leave for his mission in July and commence his collegiate career upon his return.

Tonga chose the Utes over offers from Tulsa and Rice.

No comments: