Search This Blog

Friday, February 16, 2007

Kamana Kaimikaua (Bishop Gorman-Las Vegas)

Vegas WR hearing from west coast
By Darren Maas, Special to CougarNation.com – Rivals.com

Las Vegas' Bishop Gorman High School has produced a wide receiver that, while still in his junior year, has already attracted the attention of some pretty diverse universities. Kamana Kaimikaua has piqued the interest of BYU, UNLV, Boise State, Hawaii, Utah, Cal and Colorado.

"It's pretty cool," said Kaimikaua. "I'm flattered to have the interest I have so early."

The youngster stands 6-foot-2 and weighs 190 pounds, and he runs a 4.6 in the 40. He also possesses a 33-inch vertical, which helps him not only on the football field but also on the basketball court.

"I can touch the top of the square on the backboard," he said. "And it helps me go up and get the football as well."

Even with his obvious physical advantages, Kaimikaua also knows he needs to work on some things his senior year to get ready for the next level.

"I need to work on my speed," he said. "I think I can get down to the 4.4 range."

Kaimikaua also believes he has some strong assets as well.

"I have good hands and good vision," he said. "And my coaches say I have deceptive speed."

The Hawaii native is not just a possession receiver, though.

"I'm a big-play, speed guy," said Kaimikaua. "But I can run the fade in the red zone, and I can be a possession receiver. I'm not afraid to go over the middle."

The Las Vegas product has big plans for his summer vacation — if you can call it a vacation.

"I'm going to the Stanford combine and the Colorado camp," he said. "And I'm going to the BYU camp too."

The natural athlete knows exactly what he wants to get out of his summer as well.

"I want to get better and lift weights," he said. "I want to go to the camps and the combine, and make some noise."

Last summer Kaimikaua visited the University of Hawaii and attended camp there.

"I went to their speed camp last summer," he said. "It was very hard, but good."

The senior-to-be listed Hawaii, Boise State, BYU and UNLV as his favorites right now, but in no particular order.

"I would like a small town fine," he said. "But I like the big-town atmosphere. I like meeting people and getting to know them better."

He also knows what he is looking for in a program.

"A good coaching staff that runs a passing offense," he said. "I want them to focus on a good work ethic, and on working hard to get better."

Kaimikaua concedes that he needs to work harder in the classroom to bring up his current 2.5 GPA.

"My goals for my senior year are to get a 3.5 [GPA] and win a state championship," he said. "And I want to be an all-conference wide receiver."

No comments: