Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2007

Bills Sign Draft Pick Ah You

He was the last of Buffalo's draft picks back in late April, but in mid-June Bills defensive end C.J. Ah You is the first draft pick to sign with the club. After agreeing to terms over the weekend Buffalo's rookie defensive end signed his first NFL contract Monday with his parents Charles and Joyce proudly looking on.

"I'm just excited and grateful for the opportunity that I have here," said Ah You. "Hopefully I can contribute to the team, work real hard and get in there somehow."

It's no secret that the rookie defensive end has an uphill battle at arguably the team's deepest defensive position. But Ah You has worked hard to make an impression and by the close of OTAs was earning reps here and there with the second string defense at right defensive end.

In his last two seasons at Oklahoma an impressive 25 percent of his 88 total tackles went for loss (22). Ah You also had 11 sacks over those two seasons and four forced fumbles. In his junior season he earned Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year honors and honorable mention All-Big 12 accolades.

Clocked at 4.7 in the 40, Ah You has some speed off the edge, but has played all across the line in his college career.

"Last year I was playing left defensive end," said Ah You. "Earlier in my career I was on the right and then last year I played on the inside. It doesn't really matter."

Ah You has been a frequent recipient of tongue lashings from Bills defensive line coach Bill Kollar, who is known to get on his rookie draft picks. But the rookie defensive end is used to that kind of coaching.

"I've had a lot of coaches like him," said Ah You. "I know when it comes down to it he's going to be trying to light a fire under me. I'm ready to get going."


Supplemental Article on former Snow College player CJ Ah You.

No comments: