Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Lions rookie from Hawaii ready for the cold and the NFL

Dana Wakiji / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- What's a nice kid from Hawaii doing playing defensive end for the Detroit Lions?

Surprisingly, that's not the question Ikaika Alama-Francis was asking himself after his first training camp practice at team headquarters in Allen Park.

Of course, the weather was in the 70s.

"It's a blessing for myself," Alama-Francis said. "It's been a great experience. Everything, I go into knowing I'm going to have fun -- and I'm going to work. That's my mindset with everything. Come out here, work as hard as I can, only good things can come from that."

The Lions selected Alama-Francis with their second of three second-round picks, 58th overall.

Alama-Francis was born on the island of Oahu so the obvious question is, has he seen snow?

"I have seen snow once but not like this," Alama-Francis said with a laugh. "Everyone's been warning me. I've been around maybe 40 degrees. I haven't been around zero. So we'll see how that goes."

Article continued at Detroit News.com

No comments: