Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Canfield, Moevao to share QB duties

Gazette-Times Reporter

It has been such a close quarterback competition through training camp that neither Sean Canfield or Lyle Moevao took control of the job.

As time went by Oregon State football coach Mike Riley tried to decide on a starter, but couldn’t. He leaned one way, and then changed his mind the next day.

He jokingly blamed the quarterbacks for adding stress to his life.

So with one week to go until the season opener against Utah, Riley made the best decision he could. He’s going with a dual quarterback system to begin the season.

“We are going to play both guys,” Riley said after Wednesday’s practice. “The reason for that is I don’t think they’ve separated enough. As I was trying to pick a guy, I couldn’t do it. It wasn’t right.

“If we had two tailbacks who were even, we’d play them both. Guys who can play, play.”

Canfield will be the official starter going out on the field for the first quarter because he’s the incumbent. Then Moevao gets the second quarter.

Riley will make a halftime decision as to how the second half will go. He could keep the rotation, or go with the hot hand.

“I think they both see the reason,” Riley said. “It has been close competition. I feel good because it’s the right thing to do.

“I went in with the goal of finding a quarterback like we normally do, and give him the bulk of the reps in practice. I really tried to do that. As I was trying to do that, I didn’t want to force it.”

This system could go on indefinitely if neither takes control. However, it’s an extended competition in Riley’s view.

Someone should rise to the top against opponents at full speed.

Continue

No comments: