Search This Blog

Sunday, October 12, 2008

USC's Fili Moala won't block this out of his memory

Trojans defensive end blocks two Arizona State field-goal attempts in the third quarter, tying an NCAA record.
By Gary Klein and David Wharton
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

October 12, 2008

Defensive tackle Fili Moala had a busy day in eighth-ranked USC's 28-0 victory over Arizona State on Saturday at the Coliseum.

Moala recovered a fumble, preserved the shutout by blocking two third-quarter field-goal attempts and made three tackles.

Moala tied an NCAA record with his two blocks in the same quarter.

"We knew they were weak up front and we just took it to our advantage," Moala said.

Moala blocked Thomas Weber's attempt from 29 yards with about 10 minutes left in the third quarter and then blocked a 48-yard attempt about two minutes later.

Both kicks were on a low trajectory.

"One hit me in my elbow, one hit me dead in my hand," said Moala, who did not jump on either play. "I just put my hand up. I was lucky enough to be 6 foot 5 with long arms."

No comments: