Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Breckterfield takes Weber State job

Gazette-Times Reporter

Defensive graduate assistant Inoke Breckterfield will leave the Oregon State football team after the Sun Bowl because he accepted the defensive line coaching job at Weber State, he said Wednesday.

Breckterfield is finishing up his second season as a graduate assistant. He was a volunteer undergraduate coach the season before.

“It was my third year here, and it was the right time to see what’s out there,” Breckterfield said. “The opportunity came up, I interviewed out there and got the job.”

He has been helping defensive line coach Joe Seumalo with his players. His expertise is in that area, having played defensive line for OSU from 1995-98.

Breckterfield was a third-team All-American and won the Morris Trophy, which goes annually to the Pac-10’s top defensive lineman. He went on to play in the Canadian Football League from 1989-2003.

“I’ve learned a lot from the staff, coach Joe and (Mark) Banker,” Breckterfield said. “I’ve grown as a coach the last two years. I think I’m ready to get my career starter. And Weber is a great place to get it started.”

Coach Mike Riley said he has several volunteer assistants who could fill that position next season, and will decide on that later.

No comments: