Search This Blog

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Lions' Mulitalo likes classic cars, playing ukulele

by Brian VanOchten | The Grand Rapids Press

ALLEN PARK -- A question and answer session with Detroit Lions left guard Edwin Mulitalo.

Q: What's it like to be co-owner of an Arena Football League franchise -- the South Georgia Wildcats of af2 -- in Albany, Ga.?

A: It's been a great experience. I had a good friend who knew a friend and suddenly we were buying part of a team. It's been great to experience football from a different perspective. I'm a player, but, in the offseason, I'm an owner. To see a different perspective, like ticket sales, that's an exciting venture. I am drawn to the business side of football. That intrigues me.

Q: You own 1965 and 1971 Chevrolet Impalas and 1973 and 1975 Caprice Classic convertibles. How did you get interested in collecting classic cars?

A: I grew up in California and there's a lot of Impalas around there. When I was able to get a hold of some classic cars, I did. Being around here, I found a great auto shop that restores my cars. I'm still looking for a 1964 Lincoln Town Car with suicide doors (like the one featured in the opening credits of the HBO series "Entourage"). That's a sweet car. I don't like fast cars, I like cruisers.

Q: Any nicknames?

A: I think the only nickname they give me here is Big Mu. It's just because they can't pronounce my last name.

Q: Your childhood heroes?

A: My heroes were my uncles and my pops. I looked up to Samoan athletes like (former San Francisco 49ers offensive lineman and two-time Pro Bowl performer) Jesse Sapolu
and (former NFL quarterback) Jack Thompson.

Q: Best part about the NFL?

A: It provides me with a good life, and I get to spend a lot of time with my kids in the offseason.

Q: Worst part about the NFL?

A: As an offensive lineman, it's just the pounding our bodies take. You kind of like it in a twisted way (because of his competitive nature). In the offseason, though, you get people who shake your hand and want to squeeze it real hard. That hurts.

Q: Any superstitions?

A: No superstitions. I wear the same undershirt for games. I don't want to change that at all. I just have a shirt that keep for every game all year long.

Q: Any guilty pleasures?

A: A Big Mac from McDonald's. I do it once or twice a year, but I have to time it, though. It's just so good. It requires a reservation. I think about it two weeks in advance. I'm a big guy, so I might have two Big Macs at that time.

Q: Any hidden talents?

A: I play the ukulele. That's it. The guys have seen me playing it during training camp. My dad, Moliki, taught me. It's a (Polynesian) family thing.

Q: Any annoying habits?

A: I'm a pretty likable guy. (My wife) might think I never clean the sink after I shave. That's annoying to her. I at least put the (toilet) seat down.

Q: Any pets?

A: No pets, but I want a dog. I want a French bulldog. It looks so cool.

Q: Last book read?

A: I like reading self-help books. I also read "Freakonomics" (by Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt). Great book.

Q: Last movie seen?

A: "Body of Lies." Five stars. I really like Leonardo DiCaprio. That boy can act.

Q: Your dream golf foursome?

A: First, John Daly, because I know he's going to have a party. Obviously, you gotta put Tiger (Woods) in there. I gotta have Vijay Singh because he's from Fiji. I gotta have the islander in there. I'd golf with the three of them any time.

Q: Favorite TV shows?

A: I'm a reality junkie, so I watch all of the reality shows, but lately it's "The Office."

Q: Favorite singer/band?

A: Always reggae. Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, all those guys. Preferably roots reggae.

Q: Favorite home-cooked meal?

A: It is my wife Laura's chicken enchiladas. When we first got married, it's the main thing she cooked. She can cook those with her eyes closes and they come out perfect.

Q: Your dream vacation spot?

A: Anywhere tropical. It could be Jamaica, it could be the Virgin Islands, it could be Hawaii. My wife wants to go see other places.

Q: Your biggest fear?

A: I guess it's just failure. I have phobias, I hate spiders. The fear of failure is what drives me.

Q: If not football, what other career would you pursue?

A: I'd be in reggae band. Anytime we go to Jamaica, my wife hates it because whenever they have amateur night, I jump up there and grab the mic. So, I'd love to be in a reggae band. I went to school to be a teacher, though, so that's what I'd like to do. I'd like to be the cool social studies teacher in high school.

No comments: