Search This Blog

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Frankly, Tank Shows Versatility At All-Star Game

Jan. 31, 2009

EL PASO, Texas - Former UNLV running back Frank "The Tank" Summers performed well enough in this week's pratices to earn a starting spot at fullback for Team Texas and then showed off his hands during the Texas vs. The Nation All-Star game played Saturday at the Sun Bowl in El Paso.

Summers, who led the Rebels in rushing each of his two years on campus, also was a standout receiver for head coach Mike Sanford after transferring from junior college. Those skills were on full display in Satuday's game as he had four receptions for an unofficial total of 55 yards. In the second quarter, he took a pass from former New Mexico State quarterback Chase Holbrook and scampered untouched 19 yards into the end zone to give his side a 7-6 lead.

Summers also caught a short pass in the fourth quarter and turned it into a 20-yard gain that led to Texas touchdown on the very next play. Summers also proved to be an outstanding blocker but only carried the ball one time, gaining three yards on his squad's first drive. He also played special teams, leading the wedge on kickoff returns.

Despite his efforts, The Nation won the game 27-24 after forcing four turnovers that led to 17 points. The game was televised nationally by CBS College Sports.

"I think it was a successful day, I just wish we could have won the game," Summers said. "I was able to show that I am a playmaker and it was great to get into the end zone because I love scoring touchdowns. It was fun being with some of the best seniors in the country and I think I made the best of my opportunities down here. I used this week to show my versatility and I hope to carry the momentum all the way through the NFL Draft."

Summers is the only Rebel to have earned a postseason all-star appearance this year. He became the second UNLV letterman to appear in the El Paso event, following safety Jay Staggs in 2006.

No comments: