Search This Blog

Friday, June 26, 2009

Aztecs continue to stock up at Oceanside

Three more Pirates are turning into Aztecs.

Oceanside High football players Jake Fely, King Holder and Rene Siluano all have given oral commitments to play for San Diego State upon their high school graduation next year, Pirates coach John Carroll said Friday.

New Aztecs coach Brady Hoke offered scholarships to the three last weekend at the San Diego State Passing Tournament. After a few days of talking it over, Fely, Siluano and Holder decided to join the Aztecs.

"At the beginning, I wanted to go off on my own, but I kept thinking about my family and playing time and how this is going to be a good program again,'' said Siluano, who plays running back and safety for Oceanside. "I want to be close to home so my mom can see me play.

"Jake and I have been friends since playing Pee Wee in Pop Warner. Being able to play together is a very big deal for all three of us, but especially for Jake and me.''

The San Diego State roster already includes Oceanside graduates Jose Perez and Roberto Wallace, both wide receivers. And 2009 graduate and fellow receiver Osmond Nicholas is scheduled to join them in the fall. The Pirates have won five straight CIF San Diego Section Division II titles. Plus they won the state Division II title in 2007.

"This says a lot about what San Diego State's new coaching staff wants to do,'' Oceanside coach John Carroll said. "You have to go after the best Division I college players in the county. Our kids are happy they decided to do that.

"They slept on it overnight and came back (Friday) and said they were excited to be Aztecs.''

Holder plays slotback and cornerback for the Pirates. Both he and Siluano said San Diego State recruited them for their athleticism and will determine what position they'll play at a later date. Fely plays linebacker for the Pirates, though he did score the game-winning touchdown on a 1-yard run during Oceanside's 23-19 victory over Helix in the section championship game in December.

Siluano's interception in the end zone in the final seconds sealed that victory.

"I still have that football,'' Siluano said. "It's framed and on the wall in my house.

"I don't care that it's Helix's football. They didn't seem to want it back after that play. It's never leaving my house.''

Holder, who had four interceptions on defense in 2008, was fourth among Oceanside receivers last year with 35 catches for 405 yards and six touchdowns.

The Aztecs were always high on his recruiting list.

"I had them in my top five all along," Holder said. "Taking my teammates down there too is a big bonus.

"We're blessed to have so many Pirates on the same college team now. We'll learn the Aztecs way to play football and then we'll teach them how to win like Pirates after that.''

No comments: