Search This Blog

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Catching up with future Coug, Ross Apo

By Seth Stoker
- Thu, 07/09/2009 - 21:19

While Ross Apo, a BYU wide receiver commit for the 2010 season, has all of the physical tools to make an impact on the field, his confidence may be what sets him apart.

At 6-foot-4, 202 pounds, Apo describes himself as a big guy who can play any receiver position the team needs him to. With a skill set like Apo’s, this kind of confidence may be warranted.

Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Magazine recently rated the all-district receiver the best wide receiver recruit in the state of Texas.

Apo says he is good enough to contribute right away, and maybe even start.

“I don’t expect to, but I hope so,” Apo said. “I definitely have the size and speed to contribute right away.”

Apo is the type of athlete consistent with the rest of this recruiting class that has BYU fans drooling. His most recent time in the 40-yard dash is 4.41 seconds, and he has a 39-inch vertical jump.

Apo’s skills are not limited to football. He was the leading scorer on his basketball team.

Because of his size, the basketball coaches played him at center. Although he thinks he could play basketball in college, this year Apo says he needs to focus on football.

“The plan is to graduate early so I can enroll at BYU in January,” Apo said. He said he is hoping to learn the plays and give himself the best chance to see the field right away.

Apo originally committed to Texas in late spring, but later de-committed in order to join Jake Heaps and Co. at BYU. Apo said Texas was the comfortable choice.

“I knew a lot of the kids that committed (to Texas). I’ve visited (Texas) probably more than BYU,” Apo said. “My parents were very comfortable as well.”

Apo’s biggest reservation in de-committing from Texas was telling his father.

“In the back of my mind, I always wanted to go to BYU. It was hard for me to tell my dad,” Apo said. “My dad liked Texas a lot. It’s a bigger school.”

After Apo changed his mind, his father warmed up to the idea of him playing at BYU.
“Now that he’s been to BYU, he knows what it’s all about,” Apo said.

Apo said his father has even requested some BYU apparel when Ross gets to school in January.

Continue

No comments: