Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Meet Mana Rosa

Four-year high school defensive end starter, Maui Interscholastic League Defensive Player of the Year and Oregon State freshman Mana Rosa looks to use the 2009 campaign as a year to learn and grow before making a push in 2010.

How has your transition been to Oregon State?

"Well, when I first came it was kind of hard but I'm getting to know everybody. It's actually really comfortable right now and I can relate to other people, it's been fun."

What's your experience been like through fall camp so far?

"It's really fun. It's something different. Our team (in high school) never really would do the things we do here but I'm learning a lot which is good because it's going to help me out in the future."

How do you spend your free time?

"Most of the time if I'm not studying my playbook I'm usually sleeping, getting my rest so I can get going for the next practice."

What do you miss most about home in Hawai'i?

"I'd probably have to say the beach. I don't live too far from the beach, also, my family for sure."

What's your most memorable sports moment?

"It would probably have to be my junior year we were playing against our rival team Lahaina and it was tied in overtime 23-23. There was a running play up the middle and the guard pulled and they left an open shot for me and I ran right up the middle and I hit the running back and he fumbled the ball. We ended up picking the ball up and taking it back. We got the ball back and we ended up driving the ball and kicking a field goal to win the game."

Why did you choose Oregon State?

"I really like the coaches. Coach Riley is a really good coach and I've seen all of the players that he has here and they really brought me in and made me feel comfortable. The coaches made me feel comfortable. I really like the environment and how this place looks."

What been the biggest adjustment on the field for you?

"I'd have to say using more technique. Back home in high school, you use a lot of technique, but in college it's a lot different. You're going up against guys that are just as big as you or even bigger. Back in high school the average guys are a lot smaller and not as quick as it is in college. The technique is something that I know I have to work on too."

Do you have a favorite sports team?

"I've really liked the Raiders for a while. My family always used to like them and I grew up liking them so the Raiders have been there."

Do you have a favorite athlete?

"I look up to a lot of guys, I just watch how they play and use that to my advantage and try and do what they do. I watch people like (Michael) Strahan, Justin Tuck and some other D-lineman."

Do you have any pregame rituals?

"I usually pray. I don't know if that's weird, but I usually just pray. I usually walk down the field at least once and picture how the game will be."

Do you have a favorite sports movie?

"I have a lot of favorite sports movies but one of them would probably be `Friday Night Lights.' That would be my top one."

Where do you see yourself fitting in to the scheme at Oregon State?

"This year I'll most likely be redshirting and I'll be here on away games. On home games I'll be on the side just cheering them on and keeping them going. I'm going to try my best to hopefully next year get in some reps and play."

No comments: