Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2009

Arroyo Valley: Ofa Fifita

Allen Wallace
SuperPrep.com

Linebacker Ofa Fifita plans on taking an official visit to San Jose State on Nov. 8. “I like the location,” Fifita said. “It’s not too far away and the weather there is great. It’s not too hot or too cold there. They also have a pretty good business program. The football program isn’t doing too good this year, but I feel like they’ve got some good players and will get better..."

Ofa Fifita, the 6-foot-0, 220-pound three-star linebacker from Arroyo Valley High School in San Bernardino, Calif., has offers from his leaders: Colorado State, San Jose State, Hawaii, Nevada and UNLV. He denies a favorite but says that the Rams and Spartans stand out.

“The are both recruiting me the most,” Fifita said about Colorado State and San Jose State.

Fifita, ranked as the No. 88 outside linebacker in the country by Scout.com, plans on taking an official visit to San Jose State on Nov. 8. “I like the location,” he said. “It’s not too far away and the weather there is great. It’s not too hot or too cold there.

“They also have a pretty good business program,” he said. “The football program isn’t doing too good this year, but I feel like they’ve got some good players and will get better.”

. Colorado State is another school that Fifita feels has a good upside. “I think they are on the rise,” he said. “That’s an up-and-coming program.”

But Fifita admits the weather in Colorado makes him nervous. “I don’t really like the cold,” he said. “I want to visit them sometime this winter and see what it’s like.”

He hasn’t scheduled any other official visits yet, but says that he’d like to visit Hawaii as well. “I’m Polynesian and they have a lot of Polynesian players and Polynesian heritage,” he said. “The only thing about them is that it’s an island, so I’m not sure about the isolation. I don’t know if I’d want to be travelling that much to get home.”

Fifita says that location and weather are going to be key factors in his decision. “I want to be in a good area and where my heart feels the most at home,” he said. “I’d like to get a little away, but still close enough for my family to come see me.”

Although he says both Nevada and UNLV have offered, Fifita admits neither have been recruiting him hard recently. “Since they offered I haven’t really been in contact with them,” he said. “They still send some emails and letters, but I haven’t talked to the coaches. I’m not really sure about them.”

He says he’s also still being recruited by Colorado, UCLA and Fresno State. “They’re all in contact,” he said. “They’re still interested and said they’d evaluate me some more after the season is over.”

During the summer, Fifita attended a camp at UCLA as well as a Nike camp at USC.

He says he won’t make a decision until after his official visits. “I’m gonna wait as long as possible,” he said. “Once I make my commitment I’m not changing my mind.”

Fifita has lead his team to a 5-2 record with 85 tackles and three sacks.

“I feel like I have great instincts for the game,” he said. “I know what to do and can see the plays develop really fast. I have great awareness.”

He says he can bench 285-pounds, squat 365 and has a 32-inch vertical jump.

“I want to work on my angles and improve my technique,” he said. “I want to play faster on every play.”

Fifita plans on majoring in business and reports a 3.4 core GPA and a 1300 three-part-SAT, which he plans on retaking.

No comments: