Search This Blog

Thursday, October 01, 2009

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1261798.html

dneal@MiamiHerald.com

No Miami Dolphins player has had a tougher week than backup nose guard Paul Soliai. Only erratically operating cellphones connect Soliai with his native American Samoa, where the recent tsunami killed at least one aunt, an uncle and left several of his and his wife Letasha's relatives unaccounted for.

Soliai's entire family is in American Samoa.

``It's been crazy, but it's mother nature,'' Soliai said. ``You can't control it. I've been talking to some of my family members. They say there's so much damage, they're still finding so many bodies.

``I haven't been home for awhile. When something happens like that . . . ''

Soliai said he hasn't been back to American Samoa since the 2008 offseason, when he visited for four days to do a football clinic. He was asked if practice was agony or a sanctuary from worry.

``It's something that's going to motivate me,'' he said. ``I'm going to play for my people back home and my family. It's going to be a special week.''

No comments: