Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Catching up with: Simi Toeaina

The Oregon Daily Emerald caught up with senior defensive lineman Simi Toeaina after practice this week to discuss everything from his relationship with his cousin Jeremiah Masoli to his home in American Samoa. Here’s what he had to say:

Oregon Daily Emerald: Tell me a little bit about being cousins with Jeremiah Masoli.

Simi Toeaina: It’s great. We’re together before practice, during and after, so it’s really good.

ODE: Do you live with him or any other guys on the team?

ST: No, I live on my own. But friends are always coming around my spot so it’s not too bad.

ODE: What do you do as far as cooking goes?

ST: A lot of rice. Got to have fresh rice every day.

ODE: So what do you like to do outside of football?

ST: Just hang out mostly.

ODE.: All right, well, what about music? What kind of music are you listening to these days?

ST: I listen to a lot of reggae. Obviously Bob Marley and a few others.

ODE: What about movies?

ST: Yeah I like movies. My favorites are Gladiator and 300.

ODE: Now I understand you’ve done some relief work back in Samoa. Tell me a little bit about that.

ST: Yeah. The team organized a food drive for some of the villages back in American Samoa after the tsunami hit. We have quite a few guys on the team that have family there. (The fundraiser raised nearly 18 tons of food, water, and medical supplies for those in need.)

ODE: So now after five years this will finally be your last run out of the Autzen tunnel. What’s that going to be like for you?

ST: It’ll be emotional. But it’s going to have to last for just that moment, because once it’s game time you’ve got to stay focused.

No comments: