Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

Wyoming football signs two more

Kurt Taufa’asau will complete his schooling at New Mexico Military this spring before enrolling this summer at UW.

The 6-2, 289-pound Taufa’asau, a native of American Samoa, was a first-team All-Western States Football League pick this past season as a sophomore. He had 40 tackles, the most on the team for a defensive lineman, including seven for loss. He also forced three fumbles.

Taufa’asau had been recruited in high school (Samoana in Pago Pago) by UW linebackers coach Mike Fanoga when Fanoga was at New Mexico State. Taufa’asau eventually ended up at New Mexico Military Institute.

“I think I might have got his attention again with the stats that I had this season,” Taufa’asau said. “When I went up there (for my visit), it was great … I had fun.

“And my D-line coach (Jerry Montgomery) told me if I committed to Wyoming, I had a great chance to compete for a starting spot for next season,” Taufa’asau added.

Taufa’asau went on to say that he was offered scholarships by Troy and Western Kentucky, and had also been recruited by Utah State and Tarleton State.

Taufa’asau is the fourth defensive lineman to commit to UW this fall and winter. The other three are high school seniors — tackle Tyler Strong (Niwot, Colo.) and ends Sonny Puletasi (Lawton, Okla.) and Riley Lange (Parker, Colo.).

No comments: