Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Lakewood boasts five football players who will continue on at the Div. I level

From the LB Press Telegram


Justin Utupo perhaps sported the biggest smile in the group.

"This is a very historical day in my life, being the first in the family to attend a university and to be able to have the chance to go to a university like Notre Dame," he said. "It's just a special day for me and I'm very excited.

"My family's real excited and I just can't wait for the future."

Utupo said he fell in love with the Notre Dame campus.

"It was amazing," he said. "Me being Samoan, in my culture, we're very family-oriented and when I was there, that's exactly what it is, very family-oriented."


Keanu Kalolo is just thrilled that his playing days did not end when Lakewood lost in the semifinals of the CIF-Southern Section Pac 5 Division playoffs.

"I feel blessed to be able to go on and play football," Kalolo said. "Some people have to just stop their senior year. I look forward to playing a lot more football."


Other major Moore League football signings included John Timu (QB/LB) and Princeton Fuimaono (LB) - both from Jordan - heading to Washington. Kaelin Clay (WR) of Poly is going to Cal, Ezell Ruffin (WR) of Wilson to San Diego State.

Timu suffered a season-ending knee injury in the second game of the season against Pasadena on Sept. 18. Timu, who was recruited by the Huskies as a safety, said Wednesday things are going well with his rehabilitation.

"It's getting better," he said. "Just trying to be patient."

Timu said he he believes he and his right knee will be healthy for next season.

"It's a new beginning, to start all over again in school and in athletics," he said. "I think I will be ready."


Artesia middle linebacker T.J. Taimatuia signed a letter of intent to play at Hawaii.


Jesse Callier, who rushed for over 3,000 yards for Warren, signed to play football at Washington. His teammate, lineman Augafa Vaaulu, will be off to New Mexico State.

No comments: