Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Tyson Alualu Teleconference Quotes

ERKELEY - Following his selection on April 22 by the Jacksonville Jaguars as their first-round pick and the No. 10 overall choice in the 2010 NFL Draft, former California defensive tackle Tyson Alualu spoke with the media via teleconference. Following are selected comments of what he had to say.
TYSON ALUALU
On his reaction to being selected as the Jacksonville Jaguars' first-round pick
"It just shows God's plans, that He planned for me to go [to Jacksonville]. All that was going through my head was my Lord. It was all God. It was nothing I did."
On how he learned that he had been selected as the No. 10 overall pick
"I was just sitting down and got a phone call saying congratulations, and it caught me off guard."
On whether he had been in communication with the Jaguars prior to the draft
"They told me that they were very interested but I never thought they would take me in the top 10. I thought they would definitely trade down if they wanted me, but I'm just glad to be here and part of the Jaguars family now."
On whether he sees himself as an inside player in the Jaguars' 4-3 defensive scheme
"Yeah, more of an inside [player], but we'll definitely have to go see how I fit in, in mini-camp, and how everything turns out. But I'm definitely ready to give it my all and show what I can do, and don't want to disappoint anybody."
On how closely he was watching the draft at the point he was picked
"I was with my family, just watching, then, it was just crazy how everything worked out. I don't know how to explain it."
On how his performance at the scouting combine elevated his status in the draft
"It definitely helped me out a lot. The combine was a showcase for what kind of athlete that I was. It definitely has helped me out, all that hard work. It just helped put me in the right position to be in the place that I am now." On whether he had spoken to Cal head coach Jeff Tedford and Golden Bears defensive line coach Tosh Lupoi
"Yes. All the coaches have been very supportive of me. I got a lot of text messages from coach Tedford. And coach Lupoi, he's been such a big help to me. I've gotten to be real close to him, like my bigger brother ... I really want to thank these coaches and a lot of people that helped me get into the position that I am now."
On whether he has to prove to Jacksonville's fans that he is worth being the No. 10 pick overall
"Oh, yes, definitely. The No. 10 pick overall comes with high expectations of what kind of player you are. Not being projected to go as high and being picked, definitely makes me want to work harder and show that I am worthy of the pick. It's important for me to show everyone in the Jacksonville family and I'm very excited and ready to get started in my career there."
On whether he thought he would be selected in the first round
"Everyone was saying that I was going to go in the late-first or early second [round], so we came in thinking it was more likely the second. We were kind of more prepared for [being selected] tomorrow."
On whether he ever expected to be selected before Jahvid Best, whom the Lions took 30th overall with their first-round pick
"No, that's the crazy thing ... Playing with Jahvid, I think he definitely belongs as a top-five, a top-three. He's one of the best players I've ever seen play the game of football, and being able to practice with him, and the type of person he is on and off the field, he could have been No. 1 overall."

No comments: