Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Oceanside's latest title is perhaps its most improbable

SAN DIEGO -- Ask Oceanside High football coach John Carroll which of his seven straight CIF San Diego Section Division II championships is his favorite, and he gives you that "Why don't you ask me which is my favorite child?" look.
Press him a little, though, and he admits that Monday night's 47-10 win over Mission Hills at Qualcomm Stadium "was one of the more satisfying."
"This was a year I thought we'd be down a little," Carroll said. "So for this group to accomplish what they have is incredible.
"To win this with a sophomore quarterback, with very few returners, to continue the legacy with such a young team ... it's special."
This victory will go down in the record books. The 47 points by the Pirates is a school record in 18 finals appearances.
And six touchdowns -- five rushing and one receiving -- by senior Noah Tarrant is a championship-game record. The old mark of five was set by USC and Raiders legend Marcus Allen for Lincoln in a win over Kearny in 1977.
"I didn't even I know I had set a record until someone told me," Tarrant said. "It's so emotional. To break Marcus Allen's record means a lot. And I'm a Raiders fan, so this is really special. Maybe I'll get to meet him now.
"On paper, this wasn't supposed to be a great team. But you don't play on paper. This team beat La Costa Canyon, beat Helix and beat a really good Mission Hills team twice.
"We accomplished so much because the coaches put their faith in us."
Tarrant finished with 116 yards on 24 carries and scored on runs of 2, 12, 1, 18 and 2 yards. He caught two passes for 42 yards, scoring on a 20-yard strike from sophomore quarterback Tofi Paopao.

No comments: