Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2012

PRESS-TELEGRAM FOOTBALL DREAM TEAM: Making an Impact


Salamo Fiso had a lot to live up to playing football at Poly High, what with all the terrific defensive players that have donned a Jackrabbits uniform over the years.
To say the senior outside linebacker did that would be an understatement. He amassed 127 tackles on a Poly team filled with defensive standouts. He also had 42 sacks and one interception.
For his stellar season, Fiso is the Press-Telegram Dream Team Defensive Player of the Year.
Mention the name Bryce Treggs to anyone knowledgeable in prep or college football, and the eyes get big. That's because Treggs has eye-opening talent. Get him the ball, and his speed and run-after-the-catch ability make him a threat to score every time.
Treggs, playing for St. John Bosco, caught 70 passes for 1,377 yards and 11 touchdowns. For his sparkling campaign for the Braves, he is the Dream Team Offensive Player of the Year.
Fiso has verbally committed to Arizona State. If he signs with the Sun Devils this week, they will be getting quite a player who takes a concentrated approach to the game so as to maximize his success.
"All I'm thinking about is the game plan, but I'm not trying to think of it too much because I study it throughout the whole week," Fiso said. "So when I hit the field, it's just instincts.
"I'm not worried about me, I'm worried about the next guy in front of me, whoever is next to me. That's what you do as an o-linebacker.
"You control the defense, you call every call and of course, lead. And that's my attitude on the field, lead."
Like all terrific players, the 6-foot-1, 215-pound Fiso is a perfectionist, never resting on his laurels.
"I'm kind of never pleased with what I do because there's always room for improvement," he said. "I looked back at the Santa Margarita film and there are some things I could have done to help my team. I still look back to it like I could have done better."
Fiso helped Poly to the Moore League championship with an undefeated 6-0 record. The Jackrabbits, who finished 10-2 overall, lost to eventual Pac-5 Division champion Santa Margarita in the quarterfinals of the CIF Southern Section playoffs.
As for this award, Fiso was stoked.
"It actually means a lot," he said. "... It's an honor."
It's quite an honor just to watch Treggs perform his magic on a football field. If he caught the ball and had any room at all to run, he was likely to get far with his splendid post-reception moves.
Interestingly, Treggs was quite young when he realized he might have something special.
"Probably when I was about 10 years old because that's when we really started throwing the ball in Pop Warner because up until then you just used to run the ball most of the time; we didn't throw it that much so I was basically a decoy playing receiver," he said. "But when I was 10 we started passing the ball more and I was pretty good at running routes and that's when I really knew that I was going to be pretty good."
Treggs has verbally committed to Cal, but he said last week he is also considering UCLA and USC. The first day of the signing period is Wednesday, and he said he will call the coaching staff of the team he selects Tuesday night.
Whichever school he chooses will be getting quite an offensive player, one who knows the score.
"On offense you have to know that you've put in the work and you have to trust your training so you can have a special confidence about yourself when you go out there and play," Treggs said, "because if you know you're going to win before the ball is even snapped, then you have basically won half the battle."
Treggs, who is 6-foot and 175 pounds, is also very jazzed about this award.
"I mean, it's a great honor," he said. "It's a tribute to not only me, but my teammates because I couldn't have done it without them and also my offensive coordinator (Chad Johnson). Without him calling the plays, I probably wouldn't even be here."
robert.morales@presstelegram.com

No comments: