Search This Blog

Friday, March 17, 2006

2007 Recruits OL Twins Eli and Ricky Maefau Moreno Valley

Article on brothers Eli and Ricky Maefau of Moreno Valley

Two of the state's top linemen next year not only play for the same high school but live in the same house. Moreno Valley (Calif.) Valley View is home to the Maefau twins, Eli and Ricky and both should be heavily recruited next year.
Eli Maefau, 6-3, 340 pounds might be the slightly better Div I prospect but not by much. He starred on both sides of the ball last season but projects on the offensive line as a center or guard.

"Eli should be recruited at the national level," Valley View coach Daniel Barlage said. "He's strong and very athletic. I've seen him do 27 reps of 225 pounds, he's a powerful young man."

Eli earned 1st team all-league, 2nd team all county and 2nd team all-state underclass honors a year ago on the offensive side of the ball. He also had 17 tackles and two sacks on defense but will likely play on the offensive line in college.

"Right now, I'm getting letters from Nebraska, Cal, Colorado State, Notre Dame, Michigan State and LSU," Maefau said. "I grew up rooting for USC and UCLA and those are my top two schools right now. I also like Nebraska, Cal and Colorado, that would be my top five right now.

"I think I'll play center in college but I could be guard or defensive tackle too, it doesn't really matter to me. Right now, I've just been running and lifting and getting ready for the upcoming camps and combines."

Ricky Maefau, 6-4, 295 pounds also plays on both sides of the ball but projects more as a defensive tackle in college.

"Ricky is a specimen, he looks like an NFL player right now," Coach Barlage said. "He's a big kid but is athletic and can dunk a basketball. Like Eli, I think Ricky will be a national recruit as well."

"Right now, I'm getting letters from Cal, Notre Dame, LSU, Boise State, BYU, Nebraska, Arizona, Mississippi, Kansas State and UCLA," Maefau said. "USC is my favorite school, I've liked them for a long time. Cal, UCLA, LSU and Northwestern would be the rest of my top five. No one has offered me or Eli yet but hopefully that will come over the spring and summer. I'm planning to go to all the camps and combines and hopefully that will help me in that area."

Academically, Ricky is carrying a 2.8 GPA and said he would like to major in Engineering. Eli is carrying a 2.6 GPA and said he's not sure what he'll major in just yet.

No comments: