Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2007

David Tufuga (Snow JC) signs with Texas A&M

David Tufuga of Snow College (Ephraim, Utah) will graduate early this summer and attend Texas A&M this fall joining fellow Samoan Misi Tupe at College Station. In addition Tufuga will be playing in the Big 12 against former Snow College teammate Tonga Tea of Oklahoma State. Tufuga and Tea were coached by position coach Jason Ah You at Snow College.

Ephraim (UT) Snow College defensive tackle David Tufuga was already a hot prospect in the class of 2008 out of junior college, but now that he found out that he could graduate at the end of the summer he decided to forgo an extra season in junior college and move to Division I.

Snow College Media Relations
Defensive Tackle David Tufuga committed to Texas A&M Sunday.
The late notice forced Tufuga to quickly check a few schools out, but after his most recent visit everything became crystal clear for the 6-foot-1, 293-pound Tufuga.

"When I went out to BYU I just went to visit. I didn't commit or anything. They offered me, but I didn't know what I wanted to do at that point," Tufuga said. "Throughout it all (Texas A&M) coach (Stan) Eggen has been texting me every couple of days and been keeping in contact with me. Then they found out that I would be graduating at the end of this summer, so they really wanted me to come down for a visit and scheduled me to come down."

The visit went well, and Tufuga quickly took his place in the Texas A&M class of 2007. Tufuga's change in classification will allow him to play three seasons in three years.

"I got to hang out with Misi (Tupe) all weekend. We hung out and I like the town," Tufuga said. "My heart is in College Station now. I was really comfortable there. I met with coach (Dennis) Franchione this morning and they offered me, and I committed."

Tufuga, however, said that he didn't sign any papers to pledge to the Aggies. It is too late to sign a Letter-of-Intent, but he said he will sign his scholarship papers when arriving on campus in August.

"I'm reporting there on August 2," Tufuga said. "I think that is when camp starts. If any other schools try to come after me now, I'm definitely headed to A&M."

Tufuga said that he liked everything about A&M as well as College Station, but one aspect of his visit put him over the edge in committing to the Aggies.

"I really like the town, the facilities and the coaches, but what really got me was walking out on Kyle Field," Tufuga said. "I can't really imagine what it would be like with 85,000 people on there."

Tufuga's story is an unusual one for the most players entering Division I college football. At 22 years of age, Tufuga didn't make a decision just for him, but also for his young family.

"My junior college coach really wanted me back, but I had to do what's best. I had to be sort of selfish and do what's best for my family," Tufuga said. "I have a wife, a four-year old son and a six-month old daughter, and I had to make sure that this was the best for our future. From there I decided to go to A&M."

No comments: