Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2008

Steven Fanua visits BYU for Junior Day

By Brandon Gurney
TBS Managing Editor
Posted Jan 28, 2008



Linebacker recruit Steven Fanua made his way to Provo this past Saturday for BYU’s first Junior Day event. On his visit, Fanua was able to see BYU and what it offered up close as he begins the process of deciding which school to sign with upon graduating from high school. TBS caught up with Fanua to learn of his thoughts following Junior Day.


“I really like
BYU,” said Steven Fanua. “They’re probably my top school right now. I really like what they have to offer and I really like their coaching staff.”

Fanua is a 6-foot-1-inch, 205-pound linebacker from Milpitas High School in Northern California. Fanua, who has started since his sophomore year, led his team in tackles last season with an incredible 173 tackles, including six sacks.

“I’m quick and I’m aggressive,” said Fanua regarding his abilities which led to such outstanding individual stats a season ago. “I feel like I have a good feel for where the play is going and I’m really aggressive to tackle the guy carrying the football.”

Cougar coaches have noticed those abilities and gave Fanua an official scholarship offer prior to his visit on Junior Day. It’s an offer that Fanua is very grateful for.

“I like BYU a lot and to be offered by them is truly a great honor,” said Fanua. “We’ll see if I get some more offers, but BYU is the offer I wanted most.”

Fanua is receiving a lot of early attention, having been contacting primarily by schools such as Cal, Arizona, Washington, Utah, Georgia and LSU.

“I have some other offers that I want to keep confidential as of right now,” said Fanua. “But I’ve been hearing a lot from almost every Pac-10 school, as well as the Utes, Georgia and LSU.”

In regards to his Junior Day visit to BYU, Fanua grew more acquainted with the program he already knew a lot about going in.

“My dad knows a lot about BYU and I’ve followed them, so I knew a lot, almost everything about them before I made my visit,” said Fanua. “It was great seeing everything up close, but I really didn’t learn anything all that new.”

Accompanied by his father and fellow Milpitas running back prospect Jaron Ioane, Fanua toured the facilities and heard presentations done by almost every coach on staff and some of the current players.

“I spent most of my time with Coach Tidwell, who is the linebackers coach,” said Fanua. “He’s a great guy who explained things very well. I also met with Coach Doman and we talked more in depth about what would happen during the recruiting process and what they were looking for.”

Fanua said he also enjoyed meeting with the players and listening to Cougar head coach Bronco Mendenhall talk about the BYU football program.

“BYU has a great team, the sort of team I’d like to play for,” said Fanua. “Coach Mendenhall was great to listen to, as was everyone else. BYU has a good program and my experience on Friday was a good experience for me and for my dad who really likes BYU a lot.”

Fanua is LDS, but does not have definite mission plans at the time of this report. TBS will follow up with Fanua throughout the

No comments: