Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Oregon State lands big one

Four-star guard Michael Philipp said he would take all five of his official visits before making a decision, and he lived up to his word. After taking trips to California, UCLA, Oregon, Stanford and Oregon State, Philipp – a 6-foot-3, 320-pounder from Arroyo Valley (San Bernardino, Calif.) – ended up committing after his final trip.

"I'm going to Oregon State," Philipp said. "I was comfortable with the players and I think the coaches are genuine. Coach Mike Riley is a genuine guy and so is my position coach, Mike Cavanaugh. I know Coach Cavanaugh will make me a better football player."

Philipp's decision is considered surprising by some analysts. Many considered Arizona to be the team to beat, as Philipp has two brothers at the school. And he recently gushed about his official visit to Stanford.

But Oregon State has done a tremendous job the past few seasons with Polynesian players, and Philipp said he felt truly comfortable with the players in the program.

No comments: